Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Staycation


There is no way to sugar-coat it. The cruise to Cozumel was canceled. I could have posted a message about this fact last Thursday or Friday, but I was just too bummed out to do it. So for the past few days I have been taking a Staycation since I canceled my PT clients and subbed out my classes at the gym.

When we left the house on Thursday, the sun was shining and the weather was warm. As we got south of Houston and about 14 miles from the island the fog started settling in. As we got to the causeway bridge to go from the mainland to the island, you could not see the top of it. I have seen fog in Galveston before, but never this thick. It choked out the sunlight and left everything grey and gloomy and visibility was only about one or two blocks.

At the cruise terminal we were told that the ship was not it yet (it should have docked at 7 am) and that we might want to catch lunch and shop along the historic Strand. I was happy with this because for all the times I have been down to the island since Hurricane Ike, I have always been down on the West End riding my bike and I have not been to the East End and to The Strand in a few years. I am happy to report that the city of Galveston has done a lot of work to revitalize and clean up after the storm. I know that there is still a lot to do but I was very impressed with how good things looked. The only ominous sign that I kept seeing were the Ike water level markers on the walls of the buildings that were over my head. This island was 8 feet under water in many areas.

We did some shopping and had a late lunch at a wonderful Greek restaurant called Olympia where the kid and I shared a flaming plate of Sakanaki. Checking back in at the cruise terminal we were told to go to the Galveston Convention Center for more updates. Once there we found out that the ship was still anchored 15 miles off-shore and they hoped that the fog would lift the next day to be able to dock. If so, the ship would need 5 hours to do a "turn around" and prepare the ship to leave again by 4 pm. From there the ship would only go 12-13 miles off shore to get into International Waters for gambling and duty-free shopping. The cruise would not be going to Cozumel so everyone would get a $20 refund of port fees. One day would be refunded and each person would get 20% their next cruise booking.

Um, NO...HELL NO!!! This was a Christmas gift and I was not spending $1600.00 to sit a few miles off shore and drink my self silly and gamble all of my money away for two days. It would still be too chilly to enjoy the pool. NO!

There are no refunds but we do have full credit to rebook the same cruise in the next 24 months. We drove home and my poor kid had to go to school the next day to take two tests that I did not want him to make up after spring break. El Esposo went in to work and I did yard work. At least the weather has been nice but I have been pretty bummed out. I have not even gotten my run mojo back. I have to find it.

I have to find it because I made these and I have been eating them...


Looking for my mojo. Happy St. Patrick's Day.

Liz

4 comments:

Christi said...

That is a bummer! I am so sorry to hear that things did not work out. I know you will get your running mojo back soon but until then enjoy the cupcakes. They look yummy!

Regina said...

Man, that sucks. Glad you were able to make the best of it and can still go again in the next two years!!

Cupcakes...yum!! I'm making some tomorrow for my son's birthday in school. I'm hoping there will not be any leftovers...cuz I will eat them.

Spokane Al said...

Bummer, although perhaps the comment from Anonymous on penis enlargement products will brighten your day.

I do find the cruise ship refund policies a bit, well, interesting.

Rainmaker said...

Damn. That sucks. Hard. Hopefully you'll be able to find a way to make it all better down the road, but I can't imagine the disappointment. Like Spokane Al said, perhaps there some option with the Anonymous commentor's products.