Thursday, July 29, 2010

Game Trail Run


Today's weather was going to be too sketchy for a bike ride so the next best thing to do is a trail run. To make it challenging, put the trail up on a mountain. To make it more challenging, start running at 10,720 ft. above sea level.

To get to the top of the mountain I had to take the gondola half-way up the mountain and then take a chair lift the rest of the way up. I tried to take some pictures on the way up, but the windows of the gondola were not easy to take pictures through.

It was better on the ski lift. I could feel the temperature getting cooler the higher the chair lift took me up the mountain. I was glad that I had a long sleeve shirt and a long sleeve pull-over top on. The mountain was beautiful. There were even several trees that got close to the chair lifts that were decorated with plastic beads, flower leis, garlands, and ribbons.

The view from the top was amazing. The trails were all marked well and I was going to take the steep Dwight's Trail to the Game Trail. The Game Trail seemed a little less advanced and it seemed to cover more ground. Once on The Game Trail, trying to catch my breath was hard because there were some uphill sections. After dipping into the trees, the pace I was able to take was a bit more aggressive. There were sections that were out in the areas where the ski runs in the winter were and sections that ran through the thick trees and offered small running streams with small foot bridges to cross as well as all the rocks.

I wish I would have taken more pictures, but I was having so much fun running down the mountain. There were times that I felt like I was soaring through the wind on the way down the trail. Other times I felt like I was floating over the rocks in the trail.

I am sure tomorrow will hold another adventure.

Later Gators,

Liz

1 comment:

Christi said...

The pics and the description definitely make it sound like a great adventure! I am so glad that you are enjoying our great state!