Thursday, January 9, 2014

Here's the Plan


I am letting all of you know up front that I am not going to win this Dopey Challenge.  So now that this news is out of the way, I am going to tell you all how I am going to get through this.  Slowly.

Family Fun 5K

I ran about a mile and a half, grabbed some water and then saw Dopey.  I had to stop for a photo.  It was a big FAIL.  The flash washed out the picture.  I got a good 10 minute or more break waiting in line.  I ran to mile 2.5 or so and took a cool pic of Spaceship Earth at the front of Epcot.
I ran to the finish and felt great.  The starting temp was 57 there were a few little sprinkles of rain, but nothing much.  I was sweating, but after getting my medal, snack box and getting out of the finisher's area, I was starting to get chilled.  I found my running friends, we hit the bus to head back to the Boardwalk Inn and I grabbed a breakfast sandwich and a cup of coffee and I had breakfast in the hot tub.  I have been hydrating all day to make up for it.

Disney Minnie Mouse 10K

I am planning on doing a run/walk program and I will admit that it is going to be HARD to stick to it because I felt great today.  I don't have my Jiminy Cricket who will tell me to stop and walk and really make me do it.  I will have to let my conscience be my guide.  The runner handbook tells the Dopey Challenge participants to take more liberal walk breaks than in the 5K and if the participant has not been running at least three days a week, to walk the majority of the 10K.  !!!  !!!  !!!  Ok, ok, I will take liberal walking breaks.  I get it.  I have to be able to still have legs at mile 18 on Sunday.

I'm in corral A for the 5K and 10K.  HA!  MIND GAMES, I tell you, mind games.  "Go slow, but we are putting you in the fast person corral."

Disney Donald Half Marathon

Again, a liberal run/walk program.  The runner handbook recommends walking as much of the event as possible.  Wow, ok.  I guess I am going to do a lot of walking.

Disney Mickey Mouse Marathon

The plan is to go embarrassingly slow for the first half and then see what I have left in the tank for the second half and if I can negative split.

This event is going to be a challenge for me to be able to reign things in and keep it slow and easy.  I know I am slow, but going slower than slow is going to be a mental challenge as hundreds and thousands of people will be running past me.  These will be the SLOWEST 5K, 10K, half, and full marathons I have ever, EVER run/walked/shlepped my way through.  Do not congratulate me for a great race.  This is not a race.  Just keep encouraging me to go slow and just put the miles behind me.  Keep reminding me that I cannot let this be about me, it is all about Josh.

Ok, off to bed.  I have to be on the shuttle bus to the start line by 3:15 am.

Later Gators,

Liz


No comments: